Controversial Neiman Marcus opens in Walnut CreekUpdated at 09:26 AM todayAmy Hollyfield
WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) — The first Neiman Marcus in Walnut Creek opens to shoppers this morning, after an epic battle that ended at the polls.
Walnut Creek’s mayor said the negativity surrounding the store is gone and those who have opposed it have accepted it and they are pulling for its success. A mall competitor helped fund a campaign to try and stop Neiman Marcus from coming to Walnut Creek. Opponents were concerned about parking and congestion and they had concerns that the store would not deliver on its projected tax revenue.
“It was a struggle. I think what really happened was we realized the nature of the struggle we had no idea, at least I had no idea, that two retail shopping center magnets really battling it out over property in Walnut Creek. When we finally realized what was happening, the community really got behind the effort and we had a vote on this particular building. It was really unusual to have people vote on a single building. So over 71 percent of the people said yes to Neiman Marcus and yes to what this will mean to Walnut Creek,” said Walnut Creek Mayor Bob Simmons.
The mayor said that Neiman met the city’s parking requirements. He is looking into possibly adding another parking garage in the busy downtown. Only three percent of downtown Walnut Creek is unoccupied.
The new store is expected to bring in about $600,000 in tax revenue for the city.
The doors open at 10 a.m..(Copyright ©2012 KGO-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Neiman Marcus in Walnut Creek Opens Today – Walnut Creek Real Estate News
You may enjoy these related posts:
- Walnut Creeks Neiman Marcus Has Plans to Open March 9th- Real Estate Update for Walnut Creek
- Walnut Creek downtown is bouncing back – Walnut Creek Real Estate News
- Walnut Creek may go to court for access to tiny downtown parcel
- Walnut Creeks Broadway Plaza Could Be Under Expansion for 25 Years – Walnut Creek Commercial Real Estate News
- Corners Tavern Opens on Broadway Plaza – Walnut Creek Commercial Real Estate News
- Where To Park in Downtown – Walnut Creek, CA
- Walnut Creek seeing apartment project boom – Walnut Creek Real Estate News
- Walnut Creek housing project decision delayed